Located on the paradisiacal island of Cozumel in the Mexican Caribbean and surrounded by crystal clear turquoise waters, is Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa, hotel to host the first edition of the Cozumel Marathon that will take place next May 15 and 16. The firm Fhinix Sports in conjunction with the City of Cozumel, joined forces to celebrate this important sporting event with routes of 5k, 10k, 21k, and 42k.
The island of Cozumel is privilegedly located in front of the Arrecifes de Cozumel Marine Park, which is part of the Great Belt of Reefs, considered one of the largest reef systems in the world.
Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa has 218 luxurious rooms and a first-class gastronomic proposal made up of the El Caribeño, Le Cap Beach Club, Alfredo di Roma, and Faro Blanco restaurants. The newly remodeled Ikal Spa, a sanctuary of wellness and relaxation for the body, mind, and soul offers an extensive variety of body and facial treatments.
The hotel offers a wide variety of sports activities such as kayak rental, paddleboard, snorkeling, and tennis courts. Its PADI Scuba Du diving center, the most recognized on the island, is frequented by the most expert divers internationally. In recent years, the island of Cozumel has become a favorite destination for sportsmen and athletes of all disciplines. Events like El Gran Fondo, and Iron Man are held annually with great success.
For the first edition of the Cozumel Marathon, Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa offers participants rates from 185 USD per night, as well as special menus designed for athletes and discounts on treatments at the Ikal Spa.
With regard to the organization of the marathon, these are some of the points and requirements to highlight:
- The organizers will deliver the kits to the marathoners in the open area of the Plaza Central of the Benito Juárez Park.
- The temperature will be taken and antibacterial gel will be given to all participants who enter the kit delivery area.
- There will be antibacterial gel dispensers located in different areas of the assembly for your frequent use.
- The temperature will be taken and antibacterial gel will be given to all staff members before, during, and after their work.
- All exhibitors, suppliers, and staff members will wear face masks at all times and will respect the distance between each of the people.
- The start will be in blocks of 250 runners, maintaining a distance of 1.5 meters between runner and runner.
- The temperature will be taken and antibacterial gel will be given to the runners when entering the starting blocks.
- Face masks or sports masks must be used in the starting blocks
- Inside the starting block the runners will be located on the signs installed on the floor by the Organizing Committee in order to respect healthy distances.
- The starts will be in lines of 6 runners and there will be a starting beep every 5 seconds. The runners must walk in a controlled manner within the starting block once the exits have started until they reach the starting line under the arch and they must start their race when they hear their respective “beep”.
The Municipality of Cozumel, the Government of Quintana Roo and Fhinix Sports convene the 1st Edition of the 2021 Cozumel Marathon.
1. Date: Sunday, May 16, 2021.
2. Place: Quintana Roo Park (Av. Rafael E. Melgar corner Av. Lic Andres Quintana Roo next to the Mega Soriana).
3. Distance: Marathon – 42,195 meters that will be Certified and approved by a Surveyor endorsed by the Mexican Federation of Athletics Associations AC (FMAA).
4. Space: 500 participants.
5. Departure Time: Sunday May 16 – 5:30 am
6. Assignment of blocks:PENDING DEFINE
7. Categories in both branches:
- YOUTH – from 16 to 19 years old
- FREE – from 20 to 39 years old
- MASTER – from 40 to 49 years old
- VETERAN – from 50 to 59 years old
- VETERAN PLUS – 60 years and up
- Minimum age 16 years old on the day of the event.
- Fill out the registration application, with name and signature in accordance with the responsive letter and privacy notice in the official registration centers.
- Cover the registration fee according to the calendar of dates.
- Strictly adhere to the civic, sanitary, operational and environmental regulations of the Organizing Committee.
9. Recovery Fees:
- Price 1 from February 02 to March 02 – $ 800.00
- Price 2 from March 03 to April 13 – $ 900.00
- Price 3 from April 14 to May 12 – $ 990.00
- Expo price Friday 14 and Saturday 15 May – $ 1,050.00
*** Prices plus 10% commission of the electronic payment platform.
IMPORTANT:Registrations are open from the publication of this call and will close on Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. or when registrations are exhausted. Friday 14 and Saturday 15 it will only be possible to register for the delivery of event kits and subject to the fact that registrations have not been exhausted before these dates.
10. Enrollment centers:
- On the Internet at: www.fhinix.com
- Innovasport stores across the country.
- Payment in Oxxo stores throughout the country, registering at www.fhinix.com
*** The runner may only register once and the information provided must be true.
11. Assignment of numbers: The numbers will be assigned automatically according to the registration date.
12. Delivery of numbers:The delivery of the numbers and the corridor package will take place in Quintana Roo Park (Av. Rafael E. Melgar corner Av. Lic Andres Quintana Roo next to Mega Soriana) on Friday, May 14 and Saturday, May 15 as indicated :
- Friday, May 14 from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm.
- Saturday, May 15 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Package delivery is PERSONAL. Each athlete must present their official identification on the day of delivery of packages. No name changes will be made under any circumstances for the athlete’s safety. The runner who does not pick up his package at the established times will lose all rights derived from his registration.
13. Services: The Organizing Committee will provide the following items and services to the runners who register in accordance with the provisions of this call:
- Official number.
- Commemorative t-shirt. (The size of the shirt that is requested in the registration form is only for statistical data).
- Commemorative Backpack.
- Medical services in departure – route – goal.
- Signposting in route in adherence to the guidelines of the FMAA.
- Safety and security en route, according to the road closure and opening program approved by the Government and the City Council of Cozumel.
- Cloakroom service.
- Restroom service at the exit – route – goal.
- Water supply and isotonic drink en route and finish line.
- Participation medal for the runner who covers the official distance. The medal will only be awarded to the runner who has run the complete route of their respective distance.
14. Regulation: Current of the Mexican Federation of Athletics Associations AC
- It can only be run with an official number, which is non-transferable and cannot be modified.
- A chip will be assigned, programmed with the participant number which will be non-transferable.
- It is mandatory to go through all the time control zones (mats), to receive your official time certificate.
- The official supply areas must be respected.
- The recovery package will only be for runners who have their official number placed on the front of the shirt.
- Follow the official route set by the Organizing Committee at all times.
- Time limits to complete the distance: 6 Hours. Once the time limits have elapsed, the roads will be opened and the Organizing Committee will not be responsible for the safety of the participants who continue on the route.
16. Route: The start and finish line of all distances will be in Quintana Roo Park (Av. Rafael E. Melgar corner Av. Lic Andres Quintana Roo next to Mega Soriana) All distances will be run on Av. Rafael e. Melgar as shown on the road maps.
The routes will be measured according to the procedures and standards approved by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federation), the AIMS (Association of International Marathons and Distance Races) and the Mexican Federation of Athletics Associations (FMAA).
*** The Organizing Committee reserves the right to make last-minute changes to any of the routes.
17. Judges: The judges are the official body to endorse the results and give them that character, they verify the official time, this being the one recorded from the moment of the starting shot that corresponds to each participant, located in their corresponding starting block, until the time to cross the finish line. The judges will be endorsed by the Mexican Federation of Athletics Associations AC, their decision will be final.
Extra-official results: They will be published on Monday, May 17 at 10:00 hrs. at www.maratoncozumel.org and / or at www.fhinix.com18. Awards: All finalist competitors will receive a commemorative medal at the end of the event.
Incentives for winners:
- 1st Place Absolute Women’s Commemorative Trophy
- 2nd Place Absolute Female Commemorative Trophy
- 3rd Place Absolute Women’s Commemorative Trophy
- 1st Place Absolute Men’s Commemorative Trophy
- 2nd Place Absolute Male Commemorative Trophy
- 3rd Place Absolute Men’s Commemorative Trophy
- Commemorative Trophy for the first three places in each category in both branches.
Award ceremony: Race 21k and 42k – Sunday, May 16 at the Benito Juárez Park Main Esplanade. For health issues ONLY there will be a Presentation of Absolute Winners in the Podium. Winners by category will receive their prize by courier.
- In the event that the winners do not appear at the awards ceremony, the period established as a limit to collect the prizes and incentives will be 15 calendar days from the date of the official results announcement.
- The winner must present an official photo identification in order to claim their prize. They will not be delivered to any representative.
- There will be no duplication of prizes.
- In the event of any controversy in the awards according to the age registered on the day of the event of the runner or runner, the Organizing Committee may request the original birth certificate to confirm the information and be entitled to the award.
19. Jury of Appeal: All protests must be presented in a timely manner. Protests will be heard by the Jury of Appeal in accordance with the FMAA regulations.
20. Trademark Registration: The graphic image and the official logo of the Cozumel Marathon is a registered trademark, whoever reproduces or makes use of them without prior authorization from the Organizing Committee, will be subject to the corresponding legal process by the competent authority.
21. Transitory:1. Aspects not foreseen in this Call will be resolved by the Organizing Committee and the Mexican Federation of Athletics Associations AC, their decisions will be considered final.
2. In case of cancellation of the event due to force majeure beyond the control of the Organizing Committee, the Organizing Committee, allies, sponsors, suppliers, and authorities are not responsible for the damages that the registered participants and / or their families may suffer. and/or friends, so no monetary compensation or of any kind will be made for the amount of the registration.
3. Entries made in Fhinix Sports are not refundable for any reason.
22. Acknowledgments: Authorities of the Government of Quintana Roo, Authorities of the Government of Cozumel, Cozumel City Council, Official Sponsors, all the residents, companies and businesses of Cozumel, participating brokers and runners and all those involved in the organization of this event.
23. Covid-19 protocols: In Review.
In the City of Cozumel, Quintana Roo as of January 2021.
Source: nitu.mx, fhinix.com